Hello to everyone who will be part of the production of “The Egg Timer.” This blog is being created by Emily Haddad, writer/director to talk about the process of turning the script for “The Egg-Timer” into a short film.
It’s been almost five years since I wrote the first draft of “The Egg Timer” as an assignment for a screenwriting class at MCTC. I wrote it during one of the most difficult times of my life -- I was taking care of my mother who was dying of a terminal illness. It’s not surprising that, at its heart, the story is about the relationship between a mother and daughter.
The story has been rewritten many times during these past years and I have tried on several occasions to put together a production plan for shooting the script. I was never able to obtain the resources I felt I needed to do the story justice….until now, with the assistance of the Fresh Filmmaker Grant from IFP and the Twin Cities film community. I want to express my very heartfelt thanks to everyone who has volunteered their help to put this story on film.
Here’s what’s been going on:
October 28, 2008 -- Meeting at IFP:
I met with Jane Minton and Lu Lippold from IFP; and Mike Tabor and Matt Ehling, the two producer mentors for the film. We talked about first steps.
We set a tentative shooting time for the end of March, 2009. We believe the shoot will take from four to six days.
We need to finalize the script into a shooting script. I will work with Bix Skahill on this.
After the script is finalized, Mike will do a breakdown and budget so we can begin to scout locations for the scenes and put together equipment lists, and production plan. This should be completed no later than end of December, 2008.
I will be preparing character descriptions and sending them along with the script to A&E Casting to assist in casting the film.
We want to set up a meeting with the folks from Splice Here as soon as possible so they can have input with regard to production and post production on the film.
I would like to meet with every member of the team some time during November or early December.
We briefly discussed cinematography and the possibility of shooting with a “Red One” HD camera.
We discussed several crew positions to be filled, including a line producer and art director. Any suggestions for these positions would be appreciated. Other positions to be filled will be identified at future meetings.
Week of October 27, 2008
I forwarded the script to Bix Skahill. He will read and get back to me so we can discuss and finalize to a shooting script.
I contacted an actress I have considered in the past for the part of Ellen to see whether she would still be interested in reading for the part. She is leaving for Europe but wanted to get together when she returns.
Set up a meeting for Monday, November 3rd with a woman who may be interested in being Line Producer on the film.
I worked on character descriptions. I will be sending these out to Toni Trussoni at A&E Casting along with the script the week of November 3rd.